Upgraded the site Using iPad

 

img_4962-e1504572699692.png

As you may have noticed, the site has had a major change within the last day or so and this is due to me finally making the plunge and upgrading to a premium WordPress package. I always wanted to do this, but now that I am without freelance work, I figure it is the best time to try monetising the site with ads, creating a custom domain, and adding some flair to the whole package.

I made the purchase, allowed the domain to be set at mlata26.blog, and started working on themes, custom colors, icons for the site image you see on top, and more. I have never made a premium site using WordPress, nor have I ever upgraded a regular or free WordPress site to a premium one. So this has been an interesting experience for me.

I started to hesitate for a while due to noticing that you have to pay for the whole year at once when upgrading to premium. Then I also noticed that you get a free domain name along with this package, but once you pick the wrong one or want to change your mind, you can’t go back and repurchaee another one.

You are pretty much stuck with what you have at that point unless you want to spend more money either at WordPress itself, other domain registrants like GoDaddy or create a redirect, which also costs money. If you cancel the transaction, you get the money back for the site, but not the domain name itself ad WordPress claims it may confuse visitors. You have two days or 48 hours to cancel the package deal, albeit again lacking the domain registrant.

(please note: After scheduling this post I once a gain purchased a custom domain to be redirected to the site alongside mlata26.blog. This domain is callmikelata.com as ai wanted to have a .com URL as well to boost traffic.)

IMG_4963

This is what screwed me up due to my impatience and doing this for the first time. I ended up with mlata26.blog, which was the defsult showing, but I did not know I could have choosen something like mikelata.blog or mike-lata.com or another domain name had I clicked on the one given. Again, I am not sure how does may have looked on desktop, but on iPad I didn’t think the option was modificable, until I tried it again, but this time would have been charged. So I decided to stick with tis domain name for now.

Everything else after that was smoothly on the iPad, with the first few hours being a bit slow and giving me some errors when clicking on the customization tools, due to the verification and site upload process. I have also noticed during this time it was faster to use the app on iPad to do certain customizations before it become available through mobile Chrome for me.

However, I was later able to do everything from mobile Chrome or the app including adding a new theme, AdSense monitization, and even created a custom Adword add that you may see sometime showing the site and my email. However, I included a very low budget per day for the add just to try it out.

One thing I have also been doing is uding Facebook to generate interest through promotional ads for the site, so it grows in viewership. I will continue to improve the site, add new content, and make it compelling. But the main drive right now is for me to be oicked up by the major blogs as a worthy contributor, various magazines as a freelance contributor, and be noticed overall in the journalism and tech worlds.

IMG_4960

I remember when I first started my career as an iPhone and iPad app reviewer — as you can see from the links above in the iPhone and iPad game review pages respectfully — I had a hard and slow time uploading content to WordPress and using WordPress on the ipad. Boy have times changed. It was such a slow process back then because the various WordPress apps would constantly crash and the browser version and incomplete or incompatible to what I was trying to publish in many ways.

I also remember not being able to access most Youtube videos due to them relying on Flash still, various CMS platforms at all, or in a very limited fashion, and even be able to see how my image alignments would look like when published. Most of these problems have been fixed or solutions found as workarounds. There is still a seperation of mobile and desktop browsers, but it is much more superficial than functional now.

The big issues are still editing image size and aligning them to be efficient on both desktop and mobile versions of the site; posting thumbails and wrapping them around text, and dealing with typos that are easily overseen on the iPad and its touch-based keyboard; and lastly the app not aligning paragraphs correctly when editing a post, but the desktop site being able to share posts the way you see them edited on iPad. Another thing I still haven’t figured out is why when I have a not-published, albeit scheduled, post I wrote through the browser not show up on the app so I can modify it more through the app.

So yea there is still some nuances or variations among the mobile site and app when trying to create a WordPress site or modify a site. Hurdles still have to be overcome in certsin areas for the iPad to truly become a PC replacement and an ultimate tool for Web designets.

Overall, there is much to rejoice and I jope you continue to enjoy the site and my work overall across the Web. Now, onto those CSS modifications…

 

Advertisements

One thought on “Upgraded the site Using iPad

  1. Pingback: Coding and the iPad: an Example of How Its Done – The iPad Citizen Journalist

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s